Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book 31 of 2011 The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time IndianThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

just saw an article about this one being banned by a school board who admitted that none of them had even read the book. Banning a book makes it more appealing to me. So, I ran over to the Nola Brantley Branch of the Houston County Public Library and snapped it up to read. Back when I'm done to write a review.

Arnold Spirit Jr. is born with hydrocephalus, underwent several surgeries, dealt with seizures and grown to the ripe old age of 14. He's been picked on pretty much his entire life by everyone. After an incident at his reservation high school, he decides to go 'off the rez' to a white high school in a small town. At first he's also picked on there. And the torture from the other Indians on the reservation gets worse.

The book tells the story of that year. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. This book was banned by this school board who decided it was too much for 9th graders (without reading it of course) I think 9th graders would probably think it's pretty lame. It is a little dark, but not so much that it would be harmful for high school kids to read. I'd let my 5th or 6th grader read it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment