Thursday, September 15, 2011

Book 48 of 2011 The Year of Fog by Michelle Redmond


The Year of FogThe Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Abby Mason is walking on the beach with her fiance's 6 year old daughter Emma. She has her camera. She looks away for a minute and Emma vanishes into the fog or the ocean or up the highway in one of the cars that were in the parking lot. The year that follows is filled with guilt and heartbreak. The search is extensive and when everyone else including Emma's dad gives up Abby continues the search going out of the country to Costa Rica.


I think this book had the potential to be a 4 star book. I really loved the writing. The descriptions are vivid and really left an image in my mind. The anguish that Abby felt resonates and feels very real. Jake's reaction is spot on. But, there are too many cliches and impossibilities in the book for me to give it the 4 stars. The whole business with David was predictable. The scenes with Nick and Wiggins were improbable. The final scene on the beach was fantastical. So to say that I was slightly disappointed with the last third of the book after a great beginning would be honest. I liked it, but I really wanted to love it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment